Tuesday, February 25, 2014

UFO sighting

Checking Facebook this morning and several people mentioned hearing and seeing some objects flying above the Ghostown.  I had a feeling I knew what they were so I headed south to look for them.  Didn't see anyone buzzing the area by the time I got to Study Butte.  I happened to run into Dr. Doug and he said they went thataway...(west toward Lajitas).  By the time I got to the airport, they were already landed and packed up.  The UFO's were powered parachutes (just as I suspected) - the cumbersome and FAA restricted cousin of what I will be training to fly - the powered paraglider.

The reason these units have FAA restrictions is because of their weight and ability to carry a passenger.  As long as I was in the neighborhood, I checked in with the GM of Lajitas to inquire about the possibility of doing my training there in the event that rain screws up my road.  We are negotiating the details.

Here is a video from a recent new friend on Facebook...David Cress.  He earned his FlightJunkie wings from Capt. Kurt last year.  David trained to cart launch which is just a tad easier to learn and much easier on the legs.  I will be going for foot launching (and landing).  Wheels?...lets hope I don't need no stinkin wheels.  67,82,51,0,C


2013 PPG Year In Review from Sky Dawg Dave on Vimeo.

8 comments:

Craig said...

It scares the hell outta me just watching it.

remmij said...

salty… & that's 2008…
912

Rita B. said...

That Dr. Doug, he keeps his finger on the pulse of Terlingua. Video makes takeoff look a little hard on the neck.

JohnnyM said...

Awesome!

Hilton McLaurin, Artist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hilton McLaurin, Artist said...

Time for a name change, "Lajitas Intergalactical Airport"

Bob from Athens said...

Just don't ever forget that successful takeoffs have to equal successful landings. If you come up one short that is NOT good.

Un Paisano said...

Holy crap! Be careful John. Had to change my shorts watching that....