Sunday, December 29, 2013

boozetown

In all the places that I have lived - never has there been such a place that glorifies alcoholism like Terlingua.  Local law enforcement even has an unwritten policy to let the locals do as they might when it comes to drinking and driving.  I have had my fair share of drugs and alcohol since my early 20's.  Once I got to the desert, I found it very easy to pound down 12 - 15 beers during a long hot day.  If I wasn't careful, I would end up like the multitudes out here that drink themselves to oblivion every night.  I know several locals that start their day with a six pack and keep going till they black out for the night.  One in particular has gotten so many DUI's that he decided he would just rather give up his right to drive in order to keep drinking himself to death.  When I came to Christ, I decided that I would rather not join the Terlingua Drinking Team.  The Bible does not require us to abstain completely from alcohol.  I partake in great moderation now.  Alcohol is not a necessity of life.  In God’s eyes, one does not have to drink to show maturity, virility or sociability.  And because of the enormous destruction caused by alcohol abuse today, many people have decided that it is better to abstain even if the Bible does not require us to.  It's all a matter of showing respect for the body that God has gifted you with and keeping your wits about you.  I am reminded of an old ad on TV from many years ago..."If you drink a lot of beer - you drink a lot."

Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker , strong drink is raging : and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.  

5 comments:

Dale said...

Hmmm that might explain all the crosses and shrines along side of those long desert highways.

Unknown said...

I have known a few people who have ruined their lives with drink. In moderation it is fine but some people just don't seem to be able to judge when enough is enough. Such a waste of some lives.

Todd said...

So crazy you put out this post. Just yesterday I happened to come across a t-shirt with that very logo on it in my closet. I got it when we came down to visit big bend. Unfortuantely, it rained heavily and the roads were impassible to your house.

bargirl238 said...

I agree with you people should not drink and drive. I have always felt if a person doesn't want to drink then they won't. My Mom was a very heavy drinker and one day she was watching tv and a Preacher was on there and she put her hand on the TV and asked GOD to take away her craving for whiskey and she said he did and she never drank again. I was happy for her and her belief.I was happy for her but by the time she quit drinking it was too late for her and I to be close.

Ryan said...

Amen to this one, John!