Wednesday, May 20, 2009

outta paint, again...


Checked up on Chuck this morning and they had finished all the final touches on his container by 10AM. Sadly, he needed one of the gallons of paint he picked up in Alpine that was earmarked for my containers. I burned through the other gallon he bought for me in about and hour and a half. I still need 4 gallons to finish up and called McCoy's today to find out they are OUT and may get more in on Friday. Looks like I will have to switch gears and start setting my first course of cinder block tomorrow. That's OK cause I'm ready for a change of pace and over the painting thing for now. Just as well because I just picked up 125 gallons of free - non potable water from Grub Shack Betty - perfect for mortar mix.
Benita was here for the duration today. One of two longhorns allowed in but I think the crew got the message because only about 8 hung out at the end of the driveway all day. You gotta be cruel to be kind...

13 comments:

Bob O said...

Cruel to be kind...that's the very best sign....

I've been in a stampede, and these critters can get rough. Good on ya'! I spent like 30 seconds as a rodeo clown in Cheyenne, and when these guys get going, it's nothing to laugh about, especially if you're wearing the big shoes!

Going to get the G10 tomorrow....how's the G9 going (I actually envy the longer focal length lens)?

John Wells said...

boborama....my G9 is trapped in FedEx hell in El Paso....I just emailed them tonight that I would be happy to pay to have UPS pick it up from them cause they know how to find me....

Allen Hare said...

Yes, go with UPS, they're the best. Looks like y'all had some cloud cover there today. I guess you didn't get any rain, though, or you'd have mentioned it. Good luck with the walls. It will be good to see them coming up.

Anonymous said...

How about using the address for the feed store when FedEx or anyone else is the shipper?

Anonymous said...

Sure do miss the weather reports. Are they going to come back, or are you having trouble with your weather instruments?

Anonymous said...

I might have missed something in past post but what are the containers going to be used for?

John Wells said...

Two containers are storage...one container will be an office and electronics workshop...one containter will be a quest house.

jim said...

I had no idea how versatile these containers are. Here is a video showing them converted into a classroom. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYzg1_Ozqwo

Mr_Brown said...

JW,

Have you found any more good pictures or videos of real containers being put to use as homes or home like structures? Like you said, there are a lot of drawings out there of containers being converted into house but no real pictures. At least not many ... I've only found a few, and the ones I did find were people making containers into $400,000 houses.

Bill

neil said...

www.fabprefab.com

John Wells said...

I'm hoping that my container project will be "the one" that folks refer to when completed...

Mr_Brown said...

JW,

I think you will be the referred to source. It's a great idea with a lot of talk, but very little action from what I can tell. You're about the only one doing something cool at a relatively low cost.

We look forward to watching it come together.

Bill

jim said...

I like the sliding "doors" on this one.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/01/cargotecture/image/6.jpg