Saturday, November 22, 2008

HWY 118

Heard coyotes just outside last night for the first time this winter. Began the day with no real plan in mind. Coldest morning so far at 24 degrees. This time the sun began to warm up the desert right away. Met up with Chuck and Kathy and her daughter Holly and b-friend Todd at the Grub Shack at 10:30. They were on their way to Alpine for the ArtsWalk Festival. Decided then that I would head up a little later.

Came home and loaded up my solar shower bag with some water to heat. While that was underway - I cleaned my solar panels and built two frames to stretch silk across that will be diffusers for some of my interior lighting. Gathered up a couple of garbage bags of trash to unload up in Alpine. Was able to eek a semi-warm shower out of the bag and hit the road at 1:45PM. Took all of 5 minutes once arriving in Alpine to find the Terlingua crew along with Kathy's other daughter Rhonda and her husband Frank. I wandered through the area with them for awhile then went out on my own. Some very nice art on display but mostly crap. Found my buddy Ara scoping the crowds with his Canon Eos....going by to visit him when he comes back south on Tuesday.

Grabbed a few groceries and headed home. Was hoping to photograph some abandoned dreams (derelict homesteads) along the highway but the low setting sun was obscured just enough by clouds to ruin the light. Did manage to get this shot of the view toward my land from about 10 miles away. My estate is just about where the sign post crosses the horizon in the far background. To the right of the sign is Agua Fria mountain. The range to the left of the sign is comprised of Panther, Hen Egg, and Packsaddle mountain. Amazing that I can see this silhouette of my backyard backdrop from over 20 miles away.

No comments: